Thursday, July 24, 2008

Hey again! Right now I'm at the library in Golden, BC. I've fallen in love with the mountains. It's pretty near impossible to capture the feel, and the magnificence of the place with the camera. I spent most of yesterday hiking up to a glacier and hanging out up high. I was the only person on the trail for the six hours I spent up there. The Okanagan valley was beautiful, in a very different way. The sagebrush in the hills, and the orchards are very different from each other.

I've met so many nice people on the way. Everywhere I go, there are people to spend time with. Jean and Marie-Claire in Osoyoos, Louis who took me in and fed me supper in Revelstoke, Heather and family and friends in Vernon, the Swiss family that fed me breakfast at the campground this morning. (So many thanks to you all).

Camping has been really positive. I've slept lots of strange places, like peach orchards, beaches, and on the mowed patches behind cell-phone towers, and have been eating surprisingly well. No trouble finding places, and no run-ins with irate landowners. Lots of really neat animals - deer, a bear, cool squirrels, birds, marmots. Nothing dangerous.

Some photos:



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool pics dan, and nice to hear a bit about the trip. I love the shot of your (my?) bike! Thanks for checkin' in - G&G were glad to get the call. With you in thoughts every day,
Dad

Harold Jarche said...

Glad you're enjoying BC and the mountains. I was born in Golden :-)

Happy cycling!

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan, We were talking to my aunt and uncle and they said that if you wanted to stay with them that would be fine. I am going to let your dad know their phone number and cell number and all that information or if you need that you can call me. We told them on thursday that you'd be there in about three or four days. Try and get a hold of them and if for some reason you can't stay with them, they'd appreciate you letting them know that. Hopefully it'll work out,
Matt

Anonymous said...

Dan!
Thanks for the call today! Sarah Q thinks you're an awesome photographer. Our ride got rained out tonight, so I signed up to warmshowers.com. You should check it out. There're hosts on both Banff and Canmore.
Dad

Anonymous said...

Hi, Dan;

Great to hear from you yesterday, Friday. Nice for us to have Stig, Britt-Marie, Rachael & Emily all here. Glad things are going well with your trip. We're thinging of you.

Love --- G&G.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan,
I have some wonderful news! Remember that camp I was going to (as a volunteer) well one of the councelors has to go out west. So they asked me if I wanted to be a Councelor!!!! So Of course I said yes. Now for the rest of the summer except for this week I will be in camp sheldrake or at my cottage. Anyways I'm loving the pics although It would be awsome to see more. It would also be kinda nice to hear from you before I go back to Sheldrake.
Cheers,
Andrew