Friday, August 22, 2008

the prairie post

Hi there! Right now I'm in Fosston, Minesota, and loving life on the road. It's kind of rainy, so I'm at the library for a while. I'm kind of at a loss for what to write - I've seen so much that it's hard to know what to pass on, especially since I haven't put anything up since Calgary.

So I'll start with the obvious: I've been in the States for a week. North Dakota was beautiful, and so is Minnesota. There are more trees here than in Saskatchewan, and now I'm coming in to forests and lakes. People are generally just as nice as north of the border. There are lots of people to spend time with, but less than in BC. In Estevan (Sask.)
, this guy named Carl took me in, fed me, gave me a place to wash my clothes, a bed to sleep in, and so on. He's a grandfather, and was really good company. I've also had great company in Brooks, where P.J. made me a fantastic meal, with corn and king crab. We played board games for a while.

Cycling on the prairies is kind of monotonous, to start out. After a while, it gets interesting again, when you start seeing the slight changes in the landscape, and when you start watching the sky. Clouds can be tremendous entertainment. Sunsets and moonrises are absolutely fantastic when they have so much sky to play out on. My second full moon has passed. The night of the full moon (I think), there was a coyote that watched me for a long time, followed me to my campsite for a long ways down a side road. The way they jump to see above the grain is really neat!

The border crossing took ages, since they ended up searching all my gear. The border guards really take their jobs seriously. And they took my oranges! That's what really hurt. I suppose I get my vitamin C from Gatorade powder, though. I've been eating pancakes, as per Alex's recommendation, but unfortunately, they turn into scrambled pancakes for lack of a spatula. Still quite tasty. Soups, cold oatmeal, and powdered potatoes are all very satisfying as staples.

Em and I at the cottage

and Ken & Pat

reminded me of Elysium, in the film "Gladiator"

power lines

the kind of place that gives the States its character

prom flowers!

beautiful ND

and a beautiful roadside to camp out on

beach on Devil's Lake, ND

self-portrait, from yesterday

7 comments:

Harold Jarche said...

I'm really happy for you, Dan. This is a great adventure!

Wray Perkin said...

Dan
Sounds like you're having a great time and meeting some awesome people. I can't wait to hear all of your stories in person when you get back!
Take care, and stay safe buddy.

--Wray

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the sunscreen! Good to talk to you. Tons of people asked about you at the triathalon.

Roxanne said...

Dannn! WOW!!! That's a word which pretty much covers my impressions on all your adventuring! I'm so thrilled that you're having a good time :) The wild west seems even more wonderful than I imagined! Keep it up!
Roxanne:D

Anonymous said...

Dan,
It seems that I have missed out on alot, But you have too. I cant wait to hear more from you. Dont froget to let me know when you are comming into northren NB. I am super busy sory about the short comment. haha Enjoy the biking!
Andrew Trites
aka Hoggle Firefingers

Anonymous said...

Thanks guys & gal! I hope everyone has a great September, and I'll put up something else in a few days. If I looked out the library door, I'd see Lake Superior! Seeya
/Dan

Unknown said...

Hej Daniel!
Det är jag, Oscar Berglund som var din lekkamrat i Norrköping när vi var mindre. Jag är nyfiken på hur du har det och vad du ska göra nu i ditt liv. Jag antar att du slutar gymnasiet (eller motsvarande i Canada). Jag ska själv snart flytta till Åre och utbilda mig till skidlärare i 1 år. Hoppas du har det fint. Skriv gärna tillbaka till min e-mail ravogarden@gmail.com
/Oscar Berglund